It is extremely easy to be average. All you have to do is what everyone else is doing. Yes, that includes making money at a large company and driving a Mercedes. That is what average people do.
Is it extremely difficult to go against the grain and to do something unconventional. Warren Buffet once said that people will try and stop you from doing the right thing if it is unconventional. That is because people are mediocre and they don’t understand the value in unconventional things.
We are all apart of a social construct that binds us to its norms.
If you think about it, its the people who attempt the unconventional that are often times the ones we most admire. We label them as “special” or as “exceptional,” when all they really did was something different. And for a moments time, they were not special or gifted or exceptional, they were instead outcasts that didn’t quite “get it.”
All remarkable people were unremarkable at some point. The difference was in their decision to do something unconventional; to step out into the unknown. It takes effort and there will always be that nagging feeling of doubt; the key is to embrace it, then overcome it.
How to Dominate the World
Passion (Obsession). Most people call the driving force of change passion, but I like obsession better. The word obsession is already pre-loaded with its own set of social stigmas. People like passion because it goes well with balance. It seems appropriate to have two sets of competing interest work together nicely so that no one will judge you. But they don’t work together nicely. In order to overcome the obstacles of society, then you will have to be obsessive. You can’t dominate the world after while fretting over a Games of Throne episode. Balance is average.
Vision. You have to be able to see the world differently. Your vision is what will drive you everyday. It is what will keep you going when the weight of world is bearing down on you. It tells you where you are going and it will keep you on that path no matter what. Take ownership of what you want to achieve and then remain steadfast. Hold strong.
Commitment. It takes 10,000 hours. Not 10. Not 4, but 10,000. Remarkable people don’t lose sight of the end state and stay committed. This is the part where the weary, soft, and “passionate” people fail. The hard thing about hard things is that it is hard to do. When you are in it and you feel the nag of comfort, fight it. Embrace the feeling and know that most people fail at exactly this point. Stay the Course!
You don’t need experience, money, talent or genetics. You need obsession, vision, and commitment.
“The pathway to world domination, or whatever it is you want to do, begins with clearly understanding what you to get out of life.” – Chris Guillebeau via The Art of Non-Conformity
1. Know what you want, then create a plan for achieving it. Understand that there is always more than one way to get what you want and it doesn’t have to be transparent. If you want to build a business, then start by reading everything you can about building a business. Don’t start by building a business. Start by learning. Strategy is a fancy word for thinking.
2. Study the process, then make it simple. Simply knowing is not enough and as the old adage goes, “if the only thing that mattered was information, everyone would be a billionaire with a six pack.” You have to understand the process by studying it. Learning as much as you can about what you hope to achieve, then distilling those ideas into a simple process. The key word is simple. You can’t lose a hundred pounds by cutting out all carbs, dropping to 750 calories and then exercising seven days a week. You simply can’t and I don’t need science to back me up. You can, however, lose a 100 pounds by making simple changes and adhering to those changes every single day.
3. Be consistent with the things that matter the most. Life is chaos and there are always things that we cannot plan for. We also cannot plan for how our crazy and diluted primate brain will act in every situation. The key is consistency with the things that matter the most. I read everyday, no matter what. I don’t eat healthy everyday, I don’t workout everyday, but I read everyday. To me, it is the thing that matters the most.
4. Action is king. Always choose to take action. Too many people are dreamers that pose as creatives. Action is the impetus to change, which is driving force behind success.
5. Leave an impact. Sometimes it is called a legacy. Whatever you come to call it, think about the impact your actions will make. People are drawn to authorities and people will respect those with power. Choose to impact people in a way that will motivate change within themselves.
In the Pursuit of Greatness
PS- Taking action is the most important thing you can do. Put your email in the box below and press GO for free updates.